BORN 1932 -
WHO WAS HE?
American composer, conductor, and pianist.
WHAT DID HE DO?
Over six decades, he has composed some of the most popular, recognizable film scores in cinematic history, including those of the Star Wars series, Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Superman, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, the Indiana Jones series, the first two Home Alone films, Hook, the first two Jurassic Park films, Schindler's List, and the first three Harry Potter films.
- John Towner Williams was born on February 8, 1932 in Floral Park, New York, the son of Esther (née Towner) and Johnny Williams.
- His full name is John Towner Williams. At school his nickname was Johnny.
- His father was a jazz percussionist. His brother Donald is a percussionist and conductor, and his brother Jerry is a studio percussionist as well.
- Williams has composed the music and served as music director for nearly eighty films.
- He is one of the most popular and successful American orchestral composers of the modern age, John Williams is the winner of five Academy Awards, 17 Grammys, three Golden Globes, two Emmys.
- John Williams was born in New York and moved to Los Angeles with his family in 1948. While in New York, he also worked as a jazz pianist, both in clubs and on recordings.
- He didn’t just write music for films but also wrote many concert pieces and music for television programmes.
LINKS TO HIS WORK:
Live performance - Superman
Live performance – Imperial march from Star wars
Live performance with John Williams conducting – Theme to Jurassic Park
Hedwig’s theme from Harry Potter
Recording of music from E.T by John Williams
Home alone theme